The job of a writer will entail creating content for websites, blogs and promotional purpose such as banners, for companies. Most writers will be creative which allows them to execute their writing skills effectively. Writer salary, writers can earn more depending on the employer, the area of expertise and the hours they work.
For example, technical writers may be independent meaning that they can work for multiple companies. However, there are writers such as business writers who may be employed by a print media to contribute business related content and news for their business magazine or newspaper section.
A writer’s salary will not necessarily be affected by the experience he or she has in their work but the quality of skills they have. However, most employers especially where the writer is working in an office within a company, the experience will play a huge role.
According the latest Writer job trends, writer salary is as below:
1. Average Salary $45,055
2. Median Salary $38,000
3. Highest Salary $494,000
4. Salary Range $20,000 – $494,000.
Writer salary data based on real job postings and can be vary with the changes in the writer salary job posting range.
How Much Do Writers Make?
The average salary expectation of a writer will be $48,144 per annum. This salary scale covers all types of writers regardless of their area of specialization. However, depending on the area you specialize in, the salary expectation will change. For example, the average salary of a technical writer is $55,070 per year.
Different writers will attract different starting salary expectations. However, for the independent freelance writers who contribute to blogs and websites of companies or personal sites, they can rake in more as they can work for anyone. Here, experience does not determine how much a writer can earn.
Technical writers can make more if they have the required skills. For example, technology writers with skills such as XML, FrameMaker and RodoHelp can expect to earn more as compared to writers with other skills. Companies employing full-time writers will also have an entry level salary scale different from that of an experienced writer. The average pay for the entry level writer in the US is around $30,000 while that of an experienced writer, it is about $80,000. Such a variation in the annual income expectation can be attributed by the difference in experience level and also the quality of skills.
A writer can work in any organization as they are involved in creating content for websites. In today’s world, the job of a writer is in high demand as companies want quality content on their websites so that they can reach their customers. News writers have great reporting skills to help them execute the message in the right manner. There are different levels of skills a writer should possess depending on the area of expertise. For example, a technology writer should have a background or knowledge in technology. A news writer should have good reporting skills or a qualification in journalism.
Apart from writers for blogs, websites and news sites, there are authors who are also referred as writers. They write novels and story books for their readers. In this case, they are paid based on the level of sales for the books or novels they have written. In the entertainment sector, there are play or script writers, who write scripts where actors and directors use the script to make a movie or video. Others include songwriters, poetry writers and the like.
|Profession / Job||Lowest Salary||Average Salary||Median Salary||Highest Salary|
|Content Writer Salary||$28,000||$39,870||$38,115||$61,589|
|Creative Writer Salary||$27,040||$42,530||$41,288||$72,800|
|Grant Writer Salary||$24,000||$42,860||$41,000||$71,400|
|Medical Writer Salary||$20,265||$53,019||$44,885||$145,600|
|Proposal Writer Salary||$30,000||$55,515||$51,105||$88,005|
|Script Writer Salary||$23,110||$42,640||$34,140||$89,378|
|Sports Writer Salary||$25,418||$35,795||$39,540||$42,000|
|Speech Writer Salary||–||$52,000||–||–|
|Staff Writer Salary||$22,000||$39,100||$36,525||$87,070|
|Tech Writer Salary||$34,000||$42,130||$41,700||$50,000|
|Senior Technical Writer Salary||$40,000||$72,685||$70,000||$125,970|
|Freelance Writer Salary||–||$65,000||–||–|
|Magazine Writer Salary||–||$51,000||–||–|
Writer Job Description:
Conducting research to get ideas on what to write. Writers carry out research work in websites, blogs, and newspapers to get the latest trend on a topic they want to write about.
Reviewing and approving the material written. Chief Editors are also writers who review the work of other writers to determine whether they are unique and of relevance to the topic or objective set.
Deciding on the subject or topic to write about based on the assignment. A writer will be assigned a task to write on, and he or she will develop ideas on their experience, skill, or interest.
Writing website material that can be used for promotion or educating the readers on a certain subject matter.
• Brainstorming with other writers in the same company to decide on the way forward regarding the quality of content, the topic to write about, and how to make it better.
• Planning and organizing the materials to write about. It is also part of the research where the writer has to evaluate different ideas and decide on which ones should be given priority.
• Recruiting other writers who have minimal experience and skills in writing. A company will use senior writers to recruit entry level writers.
Writer Job Requirements:
The education level is not necessarily a requirement for one to become a writer. However, employers insist on at least a bachelor’s degree for one to secure a job as a writer with their company. Some of the requirements necessary to increase your odds of being a writer include:
• Bachelor’ degree in journalism, English, communication or any other related discipline. It equips students with the right skills and knowledge in the use of the language and reporting skills for those who have a bachelor’s degree in journalism.
• A bachelor’s degree in any field will also help you in being a writer. For example, an individual with a bachelor’s degree in computer science or IT can be a technology writer since they the knowledge in the subject area. This also goes for a business writer.
Training and Experience:
• Training and experience in social media. Companies use the social media platform to market their products and services. A writer should have the right training and experience in the same to execute their duties well.
• Knowledge and experience in search engine optimization (SEO). The writer should understand how SEO works and have experience in the use of SEO tools.
• Knowledge in other digital marketing tools and strategies such as social media marketing (SMM), and pay per click (PPC) among others.
Skills and Attributes
• Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Highly organized and motivated to write content.
• Impeccable command of the language.
• Good communication skills.
• Highly creative and skilled in writing content.
• Ability to multitask and produce quality content.
• Great computer and typing skills.